Dr. John Happel | Sep 22, 2018 | 0
A New Year’s Resolution | Healthy Legs – Pittsburgh
A New Year’s Varicose Vein Resolution You Can Keep, Pittsburgh
Here’s a novel idea for the new year.
How about a New Year’s resolution for people in Pittsburgh that is finally realistic? Most people have vowed at one time or another to improve their health and well-being.
These plans are made half-heartedly around the New Year. They are usually well intentioned.
As most of us know, they often fail. We make fun of them. Most don’t take them seriously.
Improving your health usually tops the list of most people’s wish list. Staying true to a diet or exercise plan is too difficult for most of us.
Not seeing results quickly enough is a big reason for failure.
Not staying true to these New Year’s resolution plans can lead to guilt, self-pity and anxiety.
Let me suggest a solution.
Here’s something that you can do that will be obtainable and realistic. The best part is you won’t have to break a sweat.
It doesn’t require will power either.
People are more successful with resolutions if they choose just one thing that is very specific.
How about doing something about those varicose veins that you have been neglecting for years?
This holiday season, Pittsburgh give yourself the gift of having varicose vein free legs.
With treatment, you will see quick results with minimal effort that will dramatically change your life.
- There are no scars and virtually no pain with modern minimally invasive techniques.
- You don’t have to miss work.
- You can return to normal daily activities right away.
- Treatments are done in an office setting under local anesthesia.
Now is the perfect time to do it.
Cold weather is the ideal time of the year for vein treatment because of the one week of hot stockings required after each treatment.
By summertime, your legs will feel and look great again.
It’s not difficult, painful or expensive to have your varicose veins treated.
Insurance covers the treatment of most symptomatic varicose veins.
What Are Varicose Veins and How Common Are They?
Varicose veins are the big ropey veins in your legs that bulge so you can feel them.
Nearly half of the population will suffer from venous disease at one time or another. If family members have the problem, and you’re starting to notice bulging veins, it’s time to consider an evaluation from a vascular surgeon who specializes in vein problems.
Varicose veins are genetic. Pregnancy, obesity and inactivity can exacerbate the problem.
Many of my patients who come to see me for a varicose vein evaluation, have put off treatment for years. At first, the big bulging may not cause much discomfort or pain. People assume they are just a cosmetic problem.
Sometimes people were told by their primary care physicians that because they didn’t bother them, to wear support stockings.
Unfortunately support stockings do nothing for asymptomatic veins. Stockings will not prevent them from getting worse. Most people won’t listen to their doctors and will refuse to even try them.
Vein disease is progressive. It never gets better on its own. Ignoring those veins won’t make them go away.
As time passes, abnormal veins inevitably enlarge. Symptoms like heaviness, aching and tiredness are very common. Left untreated, phlebitis (clots in the varicose veins), swelling, skin changes, sores or ulcers of the skin and even bleeding can occur.
How to Choose a Vein Doctor and a Pittsburgh Vein Clinic
The most common mistake that people make after deciding to have their veins treated is choosing the wrong place.
Most people just choose the closest vein center or the one that advertises all of the time.
Don’t fall for that.
That’s the biggest reason for varicose vein regret when things don’t work out like you expected.
Choose the very best vein center in your city.
Here’s how to do that. Make sure all of these important criteria are fulfilled.
Here are some takeaways.
- Accreditation. Choose a vein center that has been inspected. Most Pittsburgh vein centers have “never – ever” been inspected or accredited. Vein center accreditation is available to all vein clinics. It has been offered for years to help you choose a safe and qualified place for your vein treatment. Would you eat in a restaurant that was never inspected?
- Qualifications. Choose a vein doctor who has actually trained in treating veins. Don’t be fooled and just accept the words, board certified, next to the doctor’s name. What are they board certified in? Family practice, dermatology, emergency room medicine or some specialty where varicose vein disease was never taught? Too many untrained and unqualified doctors want to treat your veins. Different vein problems require different solutions. A vascular surgeon is trained and has the eye hand coordination, training and skill to offer the treatment or combination of treatments that are right for you.
- Experience. Choose a doctor with the longest experience in your city specializing in veins. Experience is extremely important. Doctors learn from their mistakes just like everyone else. Albert Einstein said the only source of knowledge is experience.
- Latest technology. Choose a doctor who is well versed in all of the latest minimally invasive vein techniques. Vein treatments are evolving rapidly. Stripping is no longer performed. Make sure your doctor is experienced in laser, radiofrequency, injection sclerotherapy and phlebectomy so that they can design an individual treatment plan for you.
Dr. Happel can treat your varicose veins and help you make lifestyle and dietary changes.
Make this the year that you are finally varicose vein free!
Happel Laser & Vein Center of Pittsburgh can help you keep an important New Year’s resolution that you never considered before.
Don’t make another New Year’s resolution “in vein”.
Like the Nike ad says, “Just do it!”
Why not make this New Year’s one to remember?
Have a Healthy and Happy New Year Pittsburgh!